Customers with special needsPassengers requiring oxygen for travel
Advance notice and medical approval
If you require the use of medical oxygen while travelling on an Air Canada flight, you can:
- Bring your own approved Personal Oxygen Concentrator on board (along with enough battery power for 1.5 times your total travel time), or
- Purchase Air Canada's oxygen Medipak service (see section below) by calling the Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk.
Please note that canned oxygen (also known as recreational or flavoured oxygen) is not accepted in checked or carry-on baggage.
Regardless of the option you choose, you will need to:
- Obtain medical approval for travel, and
- Provide 48 hours' notice in advance of travel (regardless of destination) * by contacting the:
Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk
1-800-667-4732 (Toll-free between Canada and the U.S.)
1-514-369-7039 (long distance charges apply)
Hours of operation (ET):
* Air Canada will make a reasonable effort to accommodate requests made within 48 hours. 48 hour advance notice applies also to itineraries between Canada and the United States. 72 hours advance notice is required for certain destinations.
Air Canada oxygen Medipak service
Air Canada's Medipak oxygen fee structure applies to international flights and flights between Canada and the U.S. Fees vary between $220 CAD and $1070 CAD, and are based on flow rate, flight duration and the number of eligible segments in your itinerary. Please call the Medical Assistance Desk for details (see contact information above).
Retroactive to June 27, 2009, and for domestic itineraries only (flights originating and terminating within Canada), Air Canada will reimburse certain customers for the oxygen they require for the on-the-ground portion of their itinerary. The portion eligible for a refund includes three hours of oxygen and time between connections.
To be eligible for a refund, your oxygen supply:
- Must have been used for a flight originating and terminating within Canada;
- Must not be covered by an insurance carrier, an employer or a provincial health plan;
- Must have been indicated on the Air Canada Fitness for Travel form (FFT) by your physician and verified by Air Canada's Occupational Health Department.
Requesting a refund:
Simply send the following information by mail or fax to the address or fax number listed below, within 3 months of completing your travel:
- A copy of the receipt for the oxygen supply you purchased for travel
- Your full name as it appears on your booking
- Your booking reference number
- Your flight number(s) and date(s) of travel
- Your mailing address and contact information
Air Canada Customer Relations
Subject: Ground Oxygen Refund
P.O. Box 64239
Receiving your refund:
Your refund will be issued by cheque and will be sent to the mailing address you provide. Please allow 1 to 3 weeks for your request to be processed.