The following information provides answers to the most commonly asked refund-related questions.
If you do not find what you’re looking for below, try our Contact Us or Customer Service FAQs pages. They provide useful links to other departments (e.g. Customer Relations) and answers to other commonly-asked questions (e.g. regarding baggage, ticket receipts).
Where should I go to request a ticket refund?
It is important to always present your refund request via the original point of purchase. Only contact one department. Please refrain from sending your request for refund to more than one department.
- If your booking was made with a travel agency, contact your travel agent directly.
- If you purchased a fully-refundable fare at aircanada.com, you can cancel your booking by going to the Manage My Bookings page.
- This will automatically initiate your refund process.
- If you booked directly with Air Canada and:
- If your booking was made with another airline or website, contact them directly.
Whom should I contact to request a refund for a service that I purchased with Air Canada but did not receive?
If you purchase a travel option or service (e.g. Preferred Seat) but did not receive it, contact Customer Relations.
I cancelled my trip and have a credit that I’d like to use. Which department can best assist me?
- If Your ticket is for future travel, contact Air Canada Reservations
- If your ticket was for travel that has past, go to our Ticket Refund Application for Past Travel.
- Please note that ticket validity is one year from original issue date and subject to fare rules.
How long will it take for my refund to be processed?If your refund request is being reviewed by Refund Services or Customer Relations:
- It may take up to 3 weeks (unless otherwise stated by applicable law) for your refund claim to be reviewed.
- If you have not received any information after 3 weeks, you can request the status of your refund:
- By phone at 204-941-2851: Make sure to leave a clear message with your name, passenger name(s), phone number and all ticket numbers. We will return your call.
- Via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please make sure to include your name and contact information, all passenger names and ticket number(s).
- Please indicate “Status Request” in the subject line of your email.
What happens if I cancel my reservation within 24 hours of purchase?
If you cancel your reservation online within 24 hours of purchase, you will receive an email confirming that the price of your ticket will be refunded automatically.
In the case of Flight Pass bookings, credits that are cancelled within 2 hours of booking will be credited back to your Flight Pass account and no cancellation fee will apply.
- Fares may be subject to penalties.
- Refunds are credited back to the original method of payment. (Note: In the case of cash and Interac online payments, customers will receive a cheque in the mail.)
- All refund assessments are based on Air Canada’s tariffs and policies as well as the terms and conditions of your purchase. Fare rules explain refundability of your purchase. Please read this information carefully.